Friday, February 13, 2015

Peek of the week 8 - the Serenity Prayer

Not being very religious I first questioned whether I should include the Serenity Prayer here, but as it is a good lesson for life, and also beneficial to include in one's general knowledge, here it comes.....The Serenity Prayer (short version featured here) is this week's "peek".

I guess I was a teenager when I first heard it. In a movie that I do not remember the name of, and recited by an actor that I cannot visualize right now. It was a he though, and the man's voice was steady and burly as he, with conviction, uttered "God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, The courage to change the things I can, And the wisdom to know the difference." As that teenager I was mesmerized by the prayer and thought it was truth in just a couple of lines. Now, that I am much older and wiser (could be questioned!!!) I can also honestly say that the prayer contains a lot of truth... I mean we all encounter people, situations and happenings that are difficult to just behold and accept. Catastrophes happen; tsunamis, genocides, earthquakes, freak accidents and hopelessness enters into the equation and we try try to make the best of it. Accepting that things happen and cannot usually be altered through my hands, but still holding on to the courage needed for when things are possible to change, is an important life lesson. Eventually I also believe that the wisdom of distinguishing between the two deepens as we get older. At times, I want to believe that my wisdom is finely tuned into distinguishing that difference and making it clear to myself when the action is needed - a much needed capability to accompany me in the classroom!

The Serenity Prayer is said to have been written by the American theologian Reinhold Niebuhr. It is to be found in several different versions and by different authors, but with the same message. It is simple, beautiful and we can all learn from it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment