Monday, May 4, 2015

Peek of the week 18 - Great books for teenagers/young adults


I encounter students on a weekly basis who say "I hate reading" or "I just can't focus on a book" ...times are changing - a great deal - and it's a fact that teenagers are becoming more digitally literate, but unfortunately more BOOK illiterate. I find this to be a necessary part of our digital evolution, however I also see it as a tragic part of a lost era where kids today are finding it hard to focus on a book, or anything else, for a longer period of time. 

I still remember the books that I read as a nerdy teenager, the books that became a part of my daily life, the books that still linger with me because I was sucked into them and could never leave them, books that haunted me, books that taught me a valuable lesson or two, books that made me realize that there was a different, mesmerizing, world outside of my own room, books that I need to recommend to anyone reading this. Peek of the week 18 takes a look at GREAT books:

Lord of the flies by William Golding


The Body by Stephen King
 The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

The Wave by Todd Strasser

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis

A current favorite for the teenagers who actually ARE reading is this one. I haven't read it myself yet(but I've seen the movie and it's great!)

What's your favorite teenage/young adult book?

No comments:

Post a Comment