NOTE: I will omit a few questions, due to popular demand. :) This is an updated version:
Questions to Holes - year 9 Holes by Louis Sachar
Write the answers to the questions in your notebook:
PART ONE - Chapters 1 & 2:
- Explain the irony in the name Camp Green Lake.
- Why will campers sometimes permit themselves to be bitten by a rattlesnake or a scorpion?
- Why did Camp Green Lake always manage to find campers despite the appalling conditions?
- What choices did the judge give Stanley?
Chapters 3 & 4:
- Why did Stanley have a box of stationery?
- How do we know that Stanley was very unhappy at home?
- Briefly explain the curse of the gypsy.
- Why did Stanley’s apartment smell of burning rubber and foot odour?
- What did everyone in the family like about Stanley Yelnat’s name?
Chapters 5 & 6:
- Why was Mr. Sir in such a bad mood?
- According to Counselor Pendanski, what one rule should Stanley always remember?
- What nickname did the boys in Stanley’s tent use for Mr. Pendanski?
- For what crime was Stanley sent to Camp Green Lake?
Chapters 7 & 8:
- How did Stanley’s weight help him for once in his life?
- Who was Elya Yelnats?
- Describe Madame Zeroni.
- How was Sarah Miller different from Myra Menke?
Chapters 9 & 10:
- Explain why the sign on the rec. room said “Wreck Room”.
- Why is Stanley’s letter home so comical?
Chapters 11 & 12:
- How did X-ray get his nickname?
- Why was Stanley glad to be called “Caveman”?
Chapters 13 & 14:
- Describe the object that Stanley had found
- What occurs when the water truck arrives that indicates Stanley’s status in the group of boys is improving?
- Describe the Warden.
Chapters 15 & 16:
- Why was the Warden treating the campers so well?
- According to ZigZag, how did the Warden know all their names?
Chapters 17 & 18:
- Why was Stanley relieved when the boys returned to their regular spot to dig?
Chapters 19 & 20:
- How did Magnet get his nickname?
- What is the secret ingredient of the Warden’s nail polish?
Chapters 21 - 24:
- Describe Green Lake as it was one hundred years ago.
- How did Mr. Sir punish Stanley?
Chapters 25 & 26:
- According to Sam, what could onions cure?
- Describe what happened to Sam.
Chapters 27 & 28:
- What is Zero’s real name and why is it significant?
- Explain how Kate died.
PART TWO - Chapters 29 & 30:
- Why did Mr. Pendanski fire his pistol into the air?
Chapters 31 & 32:
- Where did Stanley think that Zero might have taken refuge?
- Why did Stanley steal Mr. Sir’s truck?
Chapters 33 & 34:
- Why did Stanley think he might have to return to the camp?
- Why did Stanley’s heart stop when he peered into the bottom of one of the holes?
- Describe what Stanley found while walking across the dry and barren wasteland.
Chapters 35 & 36:
- Who was under the boat?
- What did the boys see when they finally reached the western edge of the lake?
Chapters 37 - 40:
- Why was Stanley reluctant to stop and rest?
Chapters 41 - 44:
- Why did Zero steal when he was young?
- What did Stanley uncover in the hole?
Chapters 45 & 46:
- Why did Stanley start to think about his mother?
Chapters 47 & 48:
- What did Ms. Morengo advise Stanley to do when the Warden ordered him to open up the suitcase?
- Do you think she gave him good advice? Explain your answer.
Chapter 49 & PART THREE - Chapter 50:
- Describe the new product that Stanley’s father has just invented.
- What happens at Green Lake for the first time in over one hundred years?
- Describe the woman who is singing the lullaby to Zero at the end of the story.
Essay topics (choose two to write about)
- Compare and contrast the characters Stanley and Zero. Use physical and personality traits in your descriptions.
- Discuss the significance of the nicknames of the boys at Camp Green Lake.
- Why is the book called Holes?