Book circle year 9 The Whale Rider by Witi Ihimaera
Write the answers to the questions in your notebook.
- Look at the cover and backside (the blurb) - what do you think this book will be about? Explain why.
Chapter 1 & 2:
- Describe what chapter 1 and 2 is about, in a few sentences.
Chapter 3 & 4:
- Who is Koro Apirana?
- Who is Kahu?
- Who is Nani Flowers?
- Who is Rawiri?
Chapter 5 & 6 & 7:
- What happened to Kahu’s mother Rehua?
- What does it mean that Koro Apirana was a chief? Explain.
- What problem was the village facing?
- Why was Koro Apirana bearing less of a grudge against Kahu?
- What did he hold against her?
- Who was Koro Apirana considering as a successor?
- Who is Tangaroa?
Chapter 10 & 11:
- What did Rawiri do when Kahu was 4?
- Why did he stay so long in Australia?
- What was his life like in Sydney?
- What was the phone call that changed Rawiri’s life?
- What kind of reception did Rawiri get at Jeff’s home?
- What did Porourangi report to Rawiri about Koro’s search for a successor?
- What finally convinced Rawiri to return home?
- How was Rawiri’s homecoming?
- How had people changed?
- How was Kahu a “sucker for punishment”?
- How is Kahu like Mihi?
- What moved Nani Flowers to tears?
Chapter 13 & 14:
- What happened when Koro took the boys out in the boat to retrieve the stone?
- Why did Nani Flowers not want to tell Koro about the experience?
- What happened on the beach of Wainui that caused sorrow and anger among the people?
- What did Rawiri and his friends do?
- Who arrived to help take the stranded whales back out to sea?
- What did the rescued whale then do?
- What finally happened to all the whales?
- Why is Koro so upset when he arrives back home?
- How does Kahu save the whale?
- How does Kahu manage to save the people?
- Out at sea, who notices Kahu first?
- What does the old one think?
- What happens to Nani Flowers when she realizes that Kahu has disappeared?
- Days later when Nani Flowers wakes up what does she discover about Kahu?
- How does Kahu wake up?
- What do the whales rejoice about?
- What does Kahu hear?
- What is the message?
Essay topics (choose two to write about):
- Does Kahu demonstrate the traits of a good leader? If so, which specific traits does she demonstrate?
- Whale rider demonstrates the conflict that is caused when the past meets the present. Explain your thoughts.
- The Whale Rider illustrates that girls are just as capable as boys and when people accept this everyone benefits. Do you agree? Explain.
- The Whale Rider illustrates that culture and tradition can be both a positive and negative thing in people’s lives. Do you agree? Explain.